Saturday, October 13, 2007

^-^ T-T

Well before going into the topic proper, it's time to unload some stale photos. And some not so stale ones too.

This one is fresh out of the camera, like just a min ago. A gift to myself amongst all the stress lately. It now sits on my office table along with my Rubik's Cube. It's sad cos I like it alot, but Clarisse gets goose pimples when I bring it near to her. She says it's borderline psychotic.

A pic of the moon 2 days before Mid-autumn. I know, that's like damn stale, I can't help it. I've been busy can?

Taken last Tuesday, at Pariss International Seafood, which is a buffet outlet at 40bucks per pax. Expensive, but worth every cent. That was the day my camera dieded. I had wanted to blog about this place but my camera died on me.

Anyway, it's a very unusual buffet, the theme is very confusing, cos there's chinese, european and jap cuisine as well as local fanfare. really wierd. The only part that is certain is that it's very high class.

My faves: The raw stuff. Oysters, Scallops, Escargot, Marinated Abalone, Assorted Sashimi, Shark's Fin, etc. Super not-animal-friendly dishes but all very delicious (and not to mention genuine). Going again next Tuesday, hopefully more pix this time.

A pic from the top of one of the city buildings. My clients' office. Smart ones will already know what building and what client that is. But I'm keeping mum. Just thought it's a really nice view.

By the way, the huge Cross-like structure on the background right is none other than the stylized roof of Clarke Quay. Ok it's getting more and more bleedingly obvious.

The iBook I resurrected, and have to say goodbye to. Sad to the bone. Seriously. It hurts.

A happy-ish Cindy last night, where we had a mini Bday celebration at her place.

And out the candles go. We watched Catwoman sashay around, then watched Chicago before we started with MJ. Sheen & Jess left, Yh came after, and Yh and Cindy watched RE: Extinction together.

I'm telling you, Cindy never gets tired of gore. JUST LIKE JON. She just saw it a week ago, and she is like excited and all to watch it again. lol. Anyway, happy bday to Cindy. ^_^


OK.

This is a 180 degree turn from the previous post.

Simply put, I'm sad.

And possibly, confused.

The question: whether 妇人之仁 is right. (or in English, "grace beyond necessity").

The situation:

After spending some $$ to buy some stuff and repair the iBook G4, I was being nice and I just dropped an SMS to the client who gave it to me, saying "Hi XXX I repaired the iBook. Thanks alot!"

Then came the reply "Wow really? When can I have it back?"

..............T-T

Just 1 day ago, this was what he said "Go do whatever you want with it, I'm gonna throw it away anyway. You can keep it." *note* re-emphasizes last point to the max: YOU CAN KEEP IT.

Then after I was just politely telling him that it's repaired, he asks for it back.

At that point I could be a bastard and refuse to give him back, claiming that he gave it to me, but I couldn't. It's not in my genes to do that.

So, the end result is I'm sending it back to him on Monday, and billing him for the repairs. Out of which I only earn 50 bucks for the hardware upgrade and OS reinstallation service.


I am sour cos, I really liked it for the short 1 day that it "belonged" to me, and I spent 5 to 6 hours to buy the stuff and kick it back to life.

But I believe I win on the bottom line because this is what I gained:

1. I learned how to repair a Mac.
2. I earned some moolah fixing it.
3. I kept my integrity by not returning the "hit under the belt".


But then again, Clarisse feels worried for me that in future, evil clients might take advantage of this weakness of mine.

Of course, once bitten twice shy, I will never treat this same client the same ever again, but I will still trust any new clients 100%, and that is the problem. Whether I should trust new clients 100%, or not. Or to react after being bitten by being defensive to everyone I meet.


But I can recount a number of jackpots derived from 妇人之仁. For one, there was this colleague from tw, we used to work in dah same office back then. Ever since we came back, I helped him with computer problems about 3 times a year, and always refused payment. (I have never charged a friend for repairs before).

Just in Aug, after one of the repair sessions, he invites me to dinner with his mum and aunts as they were visiting at his place that day. As a result, the aunts get to know me, realise what I do for a living, bonk my friend on the head for not telling them earlier about me, and over the next few weeks I landed 3 separate corp clients (each aunt was working at a different co.)

So this is one of the many examples of how 妇人之仁 cashes out.

And at this juncture, I'm concerned at whether I should willingly let myself be taken advantage of by those who are cunning, unethical, or lack morals or responsibility in words, or to be as sly as the perpetrators...


"To be, or not to be: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep; No more;"

-Shakespeare, Hamlet (one of my fave quotes, which somehow I've memorized by heart)

No comments: