Hard as we try, nothing can stop the torrential floods of change.
However it is in such moments when we embrace the things that remain the same, clinging on to dear life to what is apparently important, only so in perspective of all that we've lost.
10 years. Not a very long time. But so much has changed.
10 years ago, I was a reforming delinquent, humbled by the kindness of mentors around me, teaching me how to be a better person. Only when I have come to terms with the darkness within, can I fully embrace the light without. Life hasn't been the same since.
10 years ago, I stepped off the cliff of boundless possibilities and found myself fully experiencing life.
10 years ago, I learnt what is true love. Both of us did, and emerged knowing how to love others better - it's like having gone true TL1101 module. And we ended up making many more true friends, so nothing was actually lost when it abruptly ended.
10 years ago, I worked as an employee (for the first and last time) in a retail shop selling IQ toys with a vast spectrum of first experiences. From amazingly adorable kids (I think I developed my love for kids there) to shy groups of girls trying to befriend me, to having the freedom and responsibility of managing a retail shopfront solo at such a young age.
10 years ago, I marvelled at my boss's (Sheena's) experiences of building businesses, without knowing that it would be the path I would eventually tread upon. From starting a hand-made-cloth-shoes shop in Cambodia to importing IQ toys to sell in Singapore, I saw how a business can succeed, and the tremendous hidden cost in retail.
10 years, not too long, not too short, just enough to define a teenager.
Who will I be in 10 years' time?
Tuesday, August 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment