**** WARNING - WORDY POST *****
Ok.
I've been gone for quite some time.
A roller-coaster ride it has been, the past couple of months.
For the first time since founding, Salvagers has been stretched to full capacity - partly also because a couple of my good programmers / designers were busy with schoolwork and projects, so I had to take up much of the work myself.Ok.
I've been gone for quite some time.
A roller-coaster ride it has been, the past couple of months.
Fortunately, there was the padawan to share the workload.
You're doing good, I promise to increase your hourly rate of S$0.10 soon. ^____^
But besides that, much has happened.
The most significant of which, was acquiring a much higher understanding of friendship, from someone I least expected - a client. I have to say, he is one of the most enlightened of people I have met - and I have learnt much from him just through sparse conversations over the past 2 years. What I learnt from him, was so profound that mere words would be impossible to encapsulate the entire meaning of what transpired.
Early this year, this same man, invited me to join him in a new venture.
And just last week, I just founded a new Interior Design Firm, Arkz Pte Ltd, along with Thomas, the mentor, and 2 others. Things are still taking shape so it's still pretty empty right now - but owing to their personal networks, we already have a few requests for quotations even before forming the company. Pretty promising business I would say. So guys, do let me know if anyone is looking for interior decor - we specialise in commercial spaces but take residential projects as well.
Meanwhile, Decor La Vie is doing pretty well too... a new showcase at FirePlace Cafe along South Bridge Road (ex-Global Sounds Cafe), a couple of 21st birthday party jobs, and an invitation to quote for Singapore Arts Festival @ the Marina Barrage. Just submitted our proposal today, so fingers are crossed. I'm actually pretty worried as to whether I can handle all the work once CF goes off to Tokyo to be an expatriate for 3 months. But as always, I guess things somehow will fall into place, as we will eventually figure out the solutions to the problems when we face them.
Salvagers is facing an unexpected boom despite the economic downturn - an unexpected surprise considering my baby of 3+ years almost died late last year. Yes, we were hit by the downturn pretty hard, but we braved through it silently and solemnly, without uttering a sound, Simon and I. It's very heartening to see the business stable again, also partly thanks to Sheenana & her boss Marc, who owing to his large personal network, has intro-ed us much business.
Wiki-Sg is very slow-moving, as my dear copyrighter is having projects & exams, while Simon is busy with Echo's expansion and I'm juggling lots of programming (Silas!! quick pick up php to share my load!!). But somehow, the idea has received many positive comments from people I've pitched it to - I believe that it can go somewhere, we just have to find the time to kickstart it.
Also, there was the offer to be in the management of another business... which was turned down due to unfavourable terms. It turns out that they seem to see a fair bit of value in us as they've been constantly trying to re-negotiate terms - which I'm still assessing to see the feasibility.
As has happened many times before, I see more clearly the road ahead than ever before - I treat this as a benchmark as to whether I've made progress or not - and I'm glad to report that things are moving slowly but surely.
But somehow, something in me is still craving for that one homerun among my many ventures, e.g. google, youtube, amazon, ebay, etc. In time, I hope. I believe every businessman hopes to hit that.
Meanwhile, I'm gonna keep venturing into new fields, for it could be just a law of large numbers - if you try frequently enough, you'll eventually find one which hits the mark.
Finally, I've currently already written up to the second chapter of the philo book (written from my iphone on long bus journeys home ^_^) that was in my mind since JC - hope to finish at least 6 chapters by the end of this year.
Carpe Diem!!

No comments:
Post a Comment